Organizers today announced the third annual TEDxTysons showcase event, titled “Legacy”, to take place take place Nov. 30th, 2018 at the State Theater.
The 2018 TEDxTysons event will focus on how legacies are not only something we inherit, but something we leave behind for generations to come. More than a dozen of the region’s most influential and forward-thinking leaders will take the stage to shed light on the issues we are choosing to focus on now and how they will shape the future of our world.
Attendees will come to be inspired and challenged by speakers who will boldly share their unique perspectives about their own legacies and what we can do today to ensure a bright tomorrow.
“Each year the TEDxTysons family grows and I’m so thrilled to continue our tradition of bringing our diverse community together for a day of connection, reflection and thought-provoking discussion,” said TEDxTysons Founder and Curator Ashwood Heffern. “This year, we’re examining how we can apply the Iroquois’ Seventh Generation Principle that encourages us to make decisions now to ensure a sustainable world seven generations into the future.”
This year’s speakers include:
- Jack Bobo, Vice President for Global Policy and Government Affairs for Intrexon Corporation, a synthetic biology company developing revolutionary solutions to the world’s most pressing problems in food, energy and health. In 2015, he was named by Scientific American one of the 100 most influential people in biotechnology. Jack is considered a leading expert on the role of science and technology in feeding the world.
- Eileen Ellsworth, President and CEO of the Community Foundation for Northern Virginia. During her 13-year tenure, she has reinvented the foundation into the influential social and civic force it is today. Eileen has launched more than five community funds, awarding over $7 million in grants last year alone.
- Michael Morales, an Air Force pilot with over 200 combat airlift missions into Afghanistan and Iraq, has spent his career advising political and military leaders globally, and has led U.S. military exercises in Central and South America and the Caribbean, and built partnerships with air forces in Europe, Asia, and Africa. He currently serves as a member of the Secretary of the Air Force’s congressional liaison team and has previously worked within two administrations.
- Kurt Newman, MD, President and CEO of Children’s National Health System. Dr. Newman has served Children’s National for over 30 years as a leading surgeon. He is also a professor of surgery and pediatrics at George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Science. Dr. Newman’s medical memoir, HEALING CHILDREN: A Surgeon’s Stories from the Frontiers of Pediatric Medicine, also debuted in June 2017 to critical acclaim.
- Rob Scheer, founder of Comfort Cases, a non-profit organization that is providing quality bags filled with comfort and essential items to children in the foster care system. As a former child of foster care, Rob has dedicated his life to improving the experiences and opportunities for foster children around the world.
- Ambassador Linda Thomas-Greenfield, Senior Counselor at ASG, who draws on her long and distinguished career as a U.S. diplomat to help the clients of ASG’s Africa practice. Ambassador Thomas-Greenfield is a recipient of the Hubert Humphrey Public Leadership Award, the Bishop John T. Walker Distinguished Humanitarian Service Award, and the Warren Christopher Award for Outstanding Achievement in Global Affairs. She has also received the Presidential Rank Award and the Secretary’s Distinguished Service Award.
- Ben Utecht, outspoken advocate of advocate for sports brain injury awareness. After ending his NFL career due to several concussions, he now speaks internationally on culture, leadership and purpose. He is the author of “Counting The Days While My Mind Slips Away”, and a Dove award nominated professional singer and songwriter.
The TEDxTysons Team is still welcoming a variety of interesting partnership opportunities for those who want to help unite visionaries around the Tysons area.
Date: November 30th, 2018
Location: The State Theatre, 220 North Washington Street, Falls Church, VA 22046
Time: 5:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. (dinner and show), 9:30 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. (after party)
About TEDx, x = independently organized event:
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TED Talks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized. (Subject to certain rules and regulations.)
TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading, usually in the form of short, powerful talks (18 minutes or fewer) delivered by today’s leading thinkers and doers. Many of these talks are given at TED’s annual conference in Vancouver, British Columbia, and made available, free, on TED.com. TED speakers have included Bill Gates, Jane Goodall, Elizabeth Gilbert, Sir Richard Branson, Nandan Nilekani, Philippe Starck, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Sal Khan and Daniel Kahneman.
TED’s open and free initiatives for spreading ideas include TED.com, where new TED Talk videos are posted daily; the Open Translation Project, which provides subtitles and interactive transcripts as well as translations from thousands of volunteers worldwide; the educational initiative TED-Ed; the annual million-dollar TED Prize, which funds exceptional individuals with a “wish,” or idea, to create change in the world; TEDx, which provides licenses to thousands of individuals and groups who host local, self-organized TED-style events around the world; and the TED Fellows program, which selects innovators from around the globe to amplify the impact of their remarkable projects and activities.
Follow TED on Twitter at http://twitter.com/TEDTalks, on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/TED or Instagram at https://instagram.com/ted.
Company Name: TEDx Tysons
Contact Person: Stephanie Nelson